Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Sashiko Placemat


As previously mentioned, I had the pleasure of taking a sashiko class from Maura Ambrose at QuiltCon. I chose the simplest of the three patterns she taught, so that I could practice stacking my stitches and using a thimble. (Until now, I have hand quilted one stich at a time, without a thimble.) I really enjoyed hand quilting on linen, which was new to me. The portable nature of this project was also a big plus. It was really refreshing to hand quilt without a hoop. I’m looking forward to doing more sashiko quilting in the future and am just waiting for inspiration to strike!



3 comments:

  1. oh, your sashiko is elegantly sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your stitches are lovely! I've always wanted to learn how to do this. And I recently saw someone post about a Sashiko machine?? It would be so cool to have this look over an entire quilt, without the hand pain some of us get.

    ReplyDelete