Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Geese Over Fields


I love a good scrappy project. Using what you have on hand to create something is immensely satisfying. The top of this little mini quilt was made entirely from what was left over after I made Swoon Baby Quilt the First. When I trimmed some of the blocks, I was left with triangles that I then sewed together to make half square triangle blocks. Like with my Scrap Migration quilt, I turned those blocks into flying geese. The blue and green reminded me of the sky and growing things, so as I designed the top, I thought of geese flying over fields. The backing was a fabric I had in my stash, Crosshatch Sketch in Grass from Timeless Treasures.

For the quilting, I used white Perle thread to hand quilt the inside of the flying geese. The sky is machine quilted in grey Aurifil thread, and the fields in green. I really enjoy the contrast in textures that comes from combining hand quilting and machine quilting in the same piece.

This quilted finished at 21” square, and small size lent itself to trying a new-to-me technique, so I used my mom’s matched binding tutorial for the first time. I really like how it looks, so will definitely use it again in the future.

For more scrappy goodness, check out the monthly Scraptastic Tuesday link-up at She Can Quilt the second Tuesday of each month.
Scraptastic Tuesday

2 comments:

  1. Love your mini quilt with matched binding - what a great way to use up those leftover blocks. Thank you for joining us at #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your simple yet striking design. And what a perfect use of matched binding!

    ReplyDelete