Monday, April 11, 2011

First Finish of 2011: Blue Pillows

My first finish of 2011 was a gift that I wanted to keep for myself. When one of my dearest friends moved into her own apartment, I wanted to make something for her new place. Like so many others, I love working with English paper pieced hexagons. I thought they would be the perfect project for my third trimester when I couldn’t use my sewing machine and could only sew by hand. I underestimated how time-consuming hexagons can be. I started the hexagon pillow in October of 2010, gave birth in November 2010 and didn’t finish the hexagon pillow until January 2011. The smaller pillow I started and finished in one day.


One reason I wanted to keep these pillows is that blue is my favorite color. Also, I used scraps from three different quilts, in addition to a fat quarter from my stash. One of my favorite things about quilting is using the same fabric in multiple projects. I love how quilts are connected that way. The scraps used in these pillows came from my first large quilt, the only wedding quilt I’ve made, and a quilt that I recently gifted to a co-worker. I still have some scraps let over, too!


Neither of these pillows is from a pattern. I just made it up as I went along. I ran into a little bit of trouble because the 14” and 16” pillow forms actually measured 13” and 15” respectively. Luckily I had added borders that were wide enough to trim down, so it buffed out. My mom let me use her sewing room and mad babysitting skills so that I could finish this project sooner rather than later. Thanks, Mom!

1 comment:

  1. What lovely pillows! You do such beautiful work, and have a fantastic eye for color! And of course, you are most welcome - it is always great fun to sew with you!

    ReplyDelete