Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blueberry Pie (Pops)


Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the consumerist mindset of always buying the latest and greatest fabric lines. I know I do now and again. More often, I find myself enjoying the process of working with the fabric I have on hand, especially scraps from other projects. For example, my recently finished Blueberry Pie baby quilt is composed almost entirely of scraps, both my own scraps and scraps from a family scrap swap. A few fat eighths that I received as a gift were the only non-scrap fabric.


When I participated in a family scrap swap last year, I wanted to start using the scraps I received sooner rather than later. At first, I didn't know which pattern to use, but when I saw Blueberri Breezes at Angel Scraps Quilting, I was motivated to make my own version. After the top was finished, I still had quite a few scraps left over. Inspired by Missing the Point by Ocheltree Design, I decided to cut the remaining scraps into 2.5" strips and piece them together end-to-end and see where that led me. I wasn’t expecting to make the backing entirely of scraps, but that’s what happened! I even incorporated the tiniest of scraps using completely cauchy’s Scraptacularity method, which I loved.


I quilted Blueberry Pie in a cross-hatch pattern following the design of the “front.” In the end, I like the “back” even better. The binding is also made from scraps, but I bet that’s not a big surprise. This quilt was so enjoyable to make, that I felt compelled to celebrate its completion with baked goods, specifically, Blueberry Pie Pops.


Pie making seems to run in my family, but I’ve never made Blueberry Pie (or Pie Pops) before. By combining Cakespy’s Pie Pop recipe and Macrina Bakery’s Classic Blueberry Pie recipe, I managed to make a passable Blueberry Pie Pop. Somehow I ended up with too much pie filling and not enough dough, so I will share my particular recipe after all the wrinkles are ironed out.


If you like either quilts or food, stop by A Quilter’s Table for Tuesday at the Table. If you like scraps, check out Stitched in Color’s Scrap Attack. I also plan to link up with Finish it Up Friday at crazy mom quilts.



Scrap Attack Quilt-Along

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet project, Rachel! Love that it incorporates fabric from the family swap and that you pieced every part of it from scraps! Very cool. So clever of you to partner the quilt with blueberry pie pops, which were delish btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo pretty Rachel...using the scrap pieces that you have it great! Your talent shows in the finished beauty of your quilting. Oh yes, to say the least--the blueberry pie pop was delish, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful finish and the cake pops yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is beautifully blue! I've never heard of pie pops before but I might have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree that it's so easy to get caught up in buying more fabric. Kudos to you for making good use of your scraps! A lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely scrappy quilt! And those blueberry pops look SO good. Great finishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, what a super sweet quilt! i love the tiny pieces. and blue and brown is my favorite color combo. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you said about the pleasures of working with scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Blueberry Pie baby quilt is so cute! Love all the blues you've put in there, and I really love your pieced backing! Yes, working with scraps is fun and somehow more satisfying than just cutting up yardage, isn't it? Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete