Friday, March 2, 2012

Double the Luck


I like to make things for my mom, especially quilty things. When I found this cute fabric with blue and green clover made out of hearts, I knew I wanted to make a St. Patty’s Day table topper for her. The yardage languished in my stash for far too long before I came up with a pattern that I liked. This block must have a name, but at the moment it eludes me. Once I started working on mom’s version, I fell in love with it so hard that I had to make one for myself, too.



To make these little cuties, I cut 5” squares out of the focus fabric and my blue and green scraps. Then, I cut some of them into 2.5”x5” rectangles and some into 2.5” squares, so that the focus fabric and scrappy fabrics alternated.



I actually started these quilts in March 2011. It took me so long to hand quilt my mom’s version that I decided to machine quilt mine. I quilted the same pattern on both, as I had never compared the results of the two quilting techniques side-by-side. The hand quilting is homier, but the machine quilting is much faster and cleaner-looking.



Of course, a handmade present called for a handmade gift bag, so I whipped up one of my fabric gift bags, based on a block made by HoosierToni. After I figured out the math from scratch, I realized that there is a tutorial at thought and found.


Linking up with Finish It Up Friday at crazy mom quilts.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute table toppers, Rachel! And the gift bag is a great idea. I felt pretty cool figuring out that math for myself, too, only to see that tutorial later. She has several fun star tutorials that I'd like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, and I love that we have 'matching' table toppers! Love that the St. Patrick's day fabric has blue in it too. The bag is really darling - you & Toni both have good ideas! ;-) Thanks, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete