It’s no secret that I love cake balls. My favorite flavor is Red Velvet. They can be a fun addition to holiday baking, so I thought I would share my method of making Red Velvet Cake Balls with you. A few years ago, my mom sent me the link to the recipe on Bakerella’s blog. I made them once and was hooked. I don’t know how many times I’ve made cake balls since then, but it has been quite often.
Ingredients:Cake mix + necessary eggs, oil and water
1 can of cream cheese frosting
1-2 bags of dark chocolate Ghirardelli chocolate chips
1. Make a cake. I usually use Duncan’s Red Velvet cake mix.
2. Turn the cake into crumbs. My favorite method is using a food processor, but you can do it by hand as well.
3. Mix in frosting. Do NOT use whipped frosting.
4. Roll into balls. It helps to have a friend for this step. It also helps to pop them in the freezer before the next step. Overnight is best.
5. Melt chocolate. I prefer to use a double boiler set up. I always scorch it if I use the microwave.
6. Dip cake balls. Mine are never pretty, but they are usually eaten too quickly for anyone to notice. Pop them in the freezer again to set the chocolate.
Cake balls are a dish best served cold. You can keep them in the freezer indefinitely. That is, if you don't eat them all first.