Oftentimes when my daughter sees me sewing, she asks, “Is that for me?” After a while, I got the hint and made her this little cardigan from Hey June’s Greenpoint Cardigan pattern. Of course, it had to be pink. The fabric I used was Riley Black Designs Solid Knit in Hot Pink, which was easy enough to work with, as far as Jersey knits go.
While I’m happy with the finished garment, I didn’t particularly enjoy sewing this up. The instructions struck me as odd in places, particularly with regards to the cutting layout. It didn’t make any sense to me, so I did it my own way and ended up with tons of yardage left over. The neck lining/button placket was also puzzling, as it had a fold line marked on it. It took me way too long to figure out that I wasn’t supposed to cut it out on the fold, but fold it over once it was cut.
The only modification I made was to draft a new button placement guide and increase the number of buttons to five. It’s not perfect, but it allowed me to use the buttons I had on hand instead of going to the store to buy new ones. The button foot on my machine may look scary, but after lots of practice on scrap fabric, the buttonholes turned out just fine. In the end, the flower buttons are my daughter’s favorite part of the cardigan.
Whether or not I make more of these depends entirely on my daughter. If she asks for another one, I’ll try again, but otherwise I think I’ll move on. So many patterns, so little time!