In case you haven’t noticed, lately I have been bitten pretty hard by the garment sewing bug. (Clothes are just so much quicker to sew, although I am still working on my quilts.) I am especially smitten with the Belcarra Blouse from Sewaholic, so it was a no-brainer to choose that pattern for the One Week One Pattern challenge. I wanted to make one more version before the event started, so that I would have a different shirt for each day of the work week. However, I felt like I had been spending quite a bit of money on fabric lately and didn't really want to buy more yardage for another Belcarra Blouse. Luckily, my husband had recently donated a few of his old dress shirts to the sewing cause, so I decided to make a Belcarra Blouse out of a men’s dress shirt.
The process I used was fairly simple. I cut apart the original shirt along the seams and moved around the pattern pieces until they were as I liked. For the front, I made sure to cut it out so that the pocket was still usable. The buttons are no longer operational, however, as I sewed the front shut for simplicity’s sake.
Also for simplicity’s sake, this time I omitted the sleeve cuffs, and I rather like the end result. Sewing the cuffs is my least favorite part of making up this pattern, anyways.
There’s not much more to say about this shirt. I had fun creating it, and although the fabric is a little on the stiff side, I enjoy wearing it. It's a fun reminder of my husband while we're away from each other at our respective jobs. As the weather cools, I’ll probably take a break from the Belcarra Blouse and start sewing long-sleeved shirts, but don’t hold me to it. I really do love this pattern.