Monday, August 18, 2014

Triangle Tokens Belcarra Blouse


This is my fourth Belcarra Blouse and it is by far my favorite. What’s different about this one? Two things: the type of fabric and a new-to-me technique.



The main fabric is Triangle Tokens in Voile by April Rhodes for Art Gallery. I bought 5 yards from Pink Castle Fabrics sight unseen and was a little disappointed to discover how sheer it was. (Are all voiles sheer?) I loved the fabric too much to give up on it, so I decided to try my hand at underlining. The underlining fabric is a white lawn or voile whose provenance I neglected to write down. Both fabrics were lovely to work with and even lovelier to wear. They make the garment feel more like a “real” shirt instead of an amateur one made out of stiff-by-comparison quilting cotton.



For starters, I cut out all the pattern pieces from the main fabrics, and then cut out another front, back and sleeves from the underlining fabric. I didn’t bother underlining the cuffs, since I didn’t think they needed the extra bulk. In fact, the lighter weight voile made for the easiest cuffs of all the Belcarra Blouses I’ve made so far.



Since I was so comfortable with the pattern, I just pinned the underlining pieces to the main fabric pieces and sewed the shirt together as I usually do. The French seams turned out nice and clean, just how I like them.



I’m not kidding when I said this is my favorite Belcarra Blouse. It’s light and soft, fresh and summery, perfect for hot, humid days.


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have found that the majority of voile fabric is to sheer just to wear alone, you have to have a lining with it. Your shirt turned out fabulous, love it and it really looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that though the need for underlining wasn't planned on, it went so well. The shirt's darling on you and love the matching shoes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete