Monday, October 7, 2013

Zakka 2.0 Sew Along: Prettified Pincushion


 
Even though the Prettified Pincushion is the last pattern in Patchwork, Please!, it was the first one that I completed. Never having attempted paper piecing before, I asked my mom for a lesson before the sew along started. I was glad to have her guidance and moral support, as the technique proved to be a tad too finicky for my improv-loving soul. During my first attempt, I used the teeny tiny fabric pieces called for in the pattern, and it was a disaster. Undaunted, I switched over to using 2.5” squares and then trimmed them down after sewing each seam, which worked much better for me. After a long afternoon of diminutive patchwork, my admiration for Ayumi’s skills only increased. At the end of the day, I was the proud owner of a cute new pin cushion, which is now put to regular use.
 

For those of you who may be nervous about trying paper piecing or another new-to-you technique, I encourage you to jump in! Even if you find out that it’s not your cup of tea, you may also find that you like the end result enough to make it worth the time and effort.
 

Note: Not having linen scraps on hand, I used cotton scraps instead. In lieu of Polyfill, I filled the pincushion with 1.5 cups of crushed walnut shells.
 
 
Sew Along button

4 comments:

  1. SO sweet! A paper-piecing success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and I agree with you on paper piecing! LOL I love the color palette that you used for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a quick learner, and your choice of fabrics was perfect! I have to agree that the pieces need to be much larger, to avoid meltdowns. ;)

    ReplyDelete