Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Laurel Shirt: Attempt the First

After sewing three versions of the Wiksten tank, I was eager to try another pattern. I looked for something more fitted, but still easy. The Laurel shirt by Colette Patterns seemed to fit the bill. I wanted to sew my stash, so I cut into some Pearl Bracelets by Lizzy House and a coordinating white-on-white dot I had on hand. While the end result is wearable, it didn’t quite turn out like I had envisioned.

The Good:
  • The physical pattern booklet is beautiful and pleasing to work from. I really enjoyed using a pre-printed pattern instead of printing and taping together the pattern myself.
  • The instructions were well written and easy to follow. Sarai’s writing style is that of a wise and patient friend guiding you along.
  • I learned about staystitching, darts and sleeves!

The Disappointing:
  • Where the sleeves meet the shirt is too tight. I can still move, but only self-consciously.
  • For the size I sewed, it turned out much shorter than I anticipated, and the sleeves are an awkward length for my arms.
  • I don’t actually want to wear it in public (because of the previous two items). I didn’t intend for it to be a wearable muslin, but I guess that’s what it is.

Next Time:
  • I’ll try the sleeve adjustment suggested on the Flickr group.
  • I’ll shorten the sleeves and lengthen the top.
  • I might try using one of the recommended fabrics instead of quilting cotton. Perhaps that would make it fit better.

I’ll definitely tackle this pattern again at some point. Right now I’m contemplating what garment to sew next: a Wiksten tank with sleeves, or a modified Laurel shirt. Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. I feel like you are learning alot about garment sewing and there's bound to be bumps...cutest muslin ever tho!