Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cheerful Zakka Potholders


Ever since I found Pink Penguin’s blog, I have been intrigued by Zakka sewing. I was thrilled when my mom gave me a copy of the book Zakka Style by Rashida Coleman-Hale just before the start of the Zakka Style Sew Along. As soon as I saw these potholders, I knew that I had to make some for my kitchen. Most of my kitchen accoutrements are blue or orange, but I wasn’t feeling inspired by the orange fabrics in my stash. The yellow Half Moon Modern dots led me to a blue and yellow palette that I find especially cheerful.
Of course, I’m not one to follow a pattern when I can find room to make it my own. Since I didn’t have any linen on hand, I used 100% quilting cottons, which I cut into 1.5” and 2.5” strips. I didn’t see the point of binding the pockets, so I just traced the pattern along the fold of the backing fabrics. After digging through my scraps, I found enough 2” double-fold binding to bind both potholders. This is the first time ever that I bound something curved! Speaking of binding, if you make these potholders, check out the corrected instructions on retro mama’s blog before you start. Incorrect instructions aside, these potholders were quick and easy, which is just what I needed.

2 comments:

  1. These are so pretty in the yellow and blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out just darling, Rachel! You are right - so cheerful but still in your favorite blue! Good job making the pattern your own and LUCKY you finding binding already in your stash! awesome. Thanks for sharing and for linking up and for being such an encourager of Tuesday at the Table!

    ReplyDelete